Thursday 13 January 2011



I wanted to produce some 3D work which reflected the style of the cameos and also the Mexican sugar skulls but on a much larger scale. I found the decorative shapes translated well into interior design.



Mould made using liquid silicone over a plastic skull 



Mould with plaster


A huge advantage of silicone moulds is they can be used over and over  to mass produce the skulls

I did the same using a photo frame, this was a little more difficult because the frames were far more fragile.


I wanted to juxtapose the delicate frames with the bulky skulls 


added a few backgrounds with celulous prints and sections of wallpaper and magazines worked into with the sewing machine


I chose colours that had already been used within my project, The colours contrast well with each other and with the style of the frames 


I was originally going to arrange them in a uniformed way, but I found it too look too restricted and the eye didn't follow a particular root


I added the floral patten taken from some lace fabric to soften the hard edges and arranged the frames in a more relaxed way, the eye follows the patten and the pink details

I could imagine this piece translating well on a much larger scale for interiors either using real frames or onto a repeat patten wallpaper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment